Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) is the most commonly used messaging protocol in B2B data exchange. BizTalk has native support for EDI’s primary standards X12 and EDIFACT. BizTalk has EDI Status reporting capability built on top of BAM to help the support personnel to know the status of EDI transactions, interchanges and acknowledgements correlated. You can find these reports on the Group Hub page of BizTalk Administration Console.
BizTalk360 has all these reporting capabilities in its web console and adds data monitoring capability on top of that. For more information on EDI reporting capabilities in BizTalk360, refer “EDI Reporting Capabilities”. For more information on Data Monitoring capabilities in BizTalk360, refer “EDI Data Monitoring”
However, if you have used these reports on day to day basis, you would have realized that there are few gaps which are left open and those would have been really helpful for the support personnel.All these gaps are fixed in BizTalk360 version 8.3.
Functional Acknowledgement Status Reporting
Let us consider a B2B scenario, Fabrikam sends out an X12 interchange containing multiple functional groups and transaction sets to its partner Contoso and expects a technical Acknowledgement (TA1) and functional Acknowledgements (997) for each functional group. Suppose if Technical acknowledgement indicates successful reception of the interchange, the Interchange/ACK Status should reflect as Accepted. BizTalk360 adds a brand new type of reporting called “Functional ACK Status” Report to the existing list of EDI reports.
Follow the steps as shown below to retrieve the EDI status report information for Functional Acknowledgement Status Reporting:
- Log in to the BizTalk360 application
- Click 'EDI Status Reports' in the Menu panel on the left side of the screen
- In the EDI Status Reports screen, under Build Query Expression;
- Select Query - Choose Functional ACK Status options from the drop down to retrieve the status of EDI reports
- Max Matches - Select the number of records to be fetched from the message box database. Ex. 10, 25, 50, 100....
- Add a filter - To filter the results based on different parameters. The parameters will vary while retrieving the status of ACK Status, Agreement Name, Direction, Interchange Date Time, Interchange ID, Reciever Party and Sender Party. Once the filter criteria is selected, you will automatically see the values for the filter getting listed in the drop down. Ex. Direction, Is Equal To, Receive. The user can choose the required value from the drop down.
- Once a filter item is chosen from the drop down and while adding a new filter, the previously selected item will not be visible in the drop down.The operator in most cases is 'Is Equal To'. But in the case of the category 'Interchange Date Time', the operator will be 'On or Before' or 'On or Later'.
- X - To delete the filter criteria
- Click Execute Query. The Query Results section displays the list of EDI status reports
- From BizTalk360 v8.0 the users can export the Query Results. Click Export to Excel link to download the report to your computer.
Viewing the Functional Acknowledgement Status Properties
Once the ACK status report is generated, click the Properties icon (represented as an Eye icon) to view the interchange status information.The Functional Ack Status information will contain the following information
All the values in the Interchange Status pop-up window are completely Read-Only.
Data monitoring on Functional ACK status report
The user can create Data Monitoring alerts to receive a warning or error alert when there are rejected functional acknowledgements. Below is a snapshot that shows the configuration of one such alert.
With the above configuration, the user will be able to receive alerts when there are negative acknowledgements for specific parties. If there are more than 1, the user will receive a warning alert and if there are more than 2, user will receive error alerts. For more information on data monitoring refer the article “EDI Data Monitoring”.