What's New in BizTalk360 Advanced Tracking Manager
Tracking Manager in BizTalk360 is not a new feature. In the earlier versions of BizTalk360, the tracking manager was a read-only feature providing a single page view of all the tracking configuration information at the application level. All the user needs to do is to select the application from the drop down, and BizTalk360 will display the tracking information for the artifacts of that application. Once the tracking has been set in the BizTalk Administration Console for the application artifacts, the user can view the tracking configuration information in BizTalk360. The Tracking Manager section displays the information for Receive Ports, Send Ports, and Orchestration artifacts of an application. For those who are new to BizTalk360, this is how the Tracking Manager screen looked in the previous version.
In v8.2 the Tracking Manager functionality has been improved to enable/disable tracking on the artifacts like Receive Ports, Send Ports, Orchestrations, Schemas, Pipelines, and Policies of the BizTalk Application directly from the BizTalk360 UI. For anyone who uses the BizTalk Server Administration console to update their tracking settings knows how tedious this becomes if you have to check or update multiple applications.
Quick Actions - The Quick Actions tab displays the overall status of the artifacts in the BizTalk Server. The users can enable/disable tracking on the artifacts globally. One of the main objectives of the Quick Actions section is to make it super simple to configure bulk tracking settings in your BizTalk Environment in one click.If the Global Tracking is disabled in the Quick Actions tab, the users will not be able to control the tracking on Orchestrations and Pipelines. In order to access the Orchestration and Pipeline controls the user has to Enable the global tracking.
- Applications Tab - The Applications grid view displays the list of Applications in the BizTalk Server and the respective artifacts associated with the Application. The users can enable/disable the associated artifacts with the application from the grid.
- Rules Tab - The Rules tab displays the tracking status of the associated rules from the BizTalk server. Now you can enable/disable tracking for Fact Activity, Condition Evaluation, Rule Firing and Agenda Updates right from BizTalk360. To know more about Advanced Tracking Manager, take a look at this blog which talks about the functionality and the future plans.
Different operations that can be performed on Tracking Manager
BizTalk360 offers identical functionalities as the BizTalk administration console that allows users to perform enable/disable tracking on application artifacts and rules. You can perform inline operations on the artifacts at four levels:
Hovering over the artifacts in the Quick Actions tab - When you hover the mouse over the artifacts in the Quick Actions tab, you will notice the possible operations that can be performed on the artifact. Enabling/disabling the artifacts from Quick Actions tab will effect changes across all the applications. Let's say, you wish to disable Orchestration Tracking from Quick Actions tab, this operation will disable orchestration tracking in all the applications in the environment.
Hovering over the artifacts in the Application Grid View - When you hover the mouse over the artifacts in the Application grid, you will notice the possible operations that can be performed on the artifact. This will enable/disable the artifact, say all the Receive Ports associated with that application.
- Click the application you wish to change tracking properties. When you do this, you will notice inline operation showing up right next to the current state of the possible operations that you can perform on the artifact.
- You can also change the tracking state by selecting the artifact (check box) and clicking on the Operation buttons (Enable/Disable) at the top of the grid.
User Access Policy settings for Tracking Manager
In this section, we will explain the different user access policy settings for the Normal users. For a normal user to access the Tracking Manager in BizTalk360, the super user needs to grant the permission under the User Access Policy section in BizTalk360 Settings.
Let's say Scott is a Normal User at ACME corp, and he has to be given view-only permissions to Tracking Manager section within BizTalk360. Follow the steps as shown below to grant access permissions to a normal user:
- Log in to BizTalk360 (as a Super User)
- Click the Settings icon at the top right corner of the window
- Select User Access Policy from the left navigation menu. Create a new user by clicking the New button
- Enter the user name as Scott, domain name, and select the environment for which the user will have access (say, Testing/Staging/Non-Production). Click Next
- Choose the Applications for which the user will have permissions. Click Next
- In the User Access (module wise) section, enable the toggle for Operations section. This will open up the options available under the Operations section. Select the Tracking Manger check box under Infrastructure Setting in order for the normal user to have access to Tracking Manager.
- Click OK to save the user permissions
- The user will get saved within BizTalk360, and the normal user will be able to access the Tracking Manager section