In this article, we will take a detailed look at adding a new queue to MSMQ monitoring. Adding a new queue to MSMQ monitoring involves creating the rules for setting the alert thresholds. With BizTalk360, you can monitor the health of the queue as well as other parameters associated with the queue. The other parameters include Queue Size, Active Messages, Dead Letters and Journal Messages. If you are a normal user, the pre-requisite to configure monitoring for a queue is that you need permissions to manage queues in BizTalk360.
Adding an MSMQ to BizTalk360 Queue monitoring
- Log into BizTalk360
- Click Monitoring on the top of the left navigation menu
- Click the expand button against the Manage Mapping and select Queues
- Select the Alarm name (see Creating an alarm) from the drop down for which you would like to associate the queue for monitoring
- Click New Queue to open the Add New Queue blade
- Map the Queue path. You can get Queue path from the Queue properties screen. The Queue path will be in the following format "Domain Name\Message Queue Type (Private/System)\Queue Name".
To monitor Queues from other environments, select Remote from the dropdown in Queue Path and map the Queue location.
- Create rules for threshold alerts under Queue Configurations
While creating a rule in Queue monitoring, You can add up to 5 conditions for alert thresholds based on your needs. For each condition you add, you can create 2 sub conditions (AND/OR).
- Click Save Configurations to create monitoring for the Queue
The Queue will be added under the MSMQ tab
In-depth look at Queue monitoring rules screen in BizTalk360
In this section, we will take a deep dive into the Queue Monitoring Rules screen to understand the functionality of every option and controls present in the screen. The first and foremost step in Queue Monitoring is to create an alarm and map the alarm for Queue monitor alerts. Click here to understand the process of creating an alarm. To understand the Queue monitoring rules screen better, let's assume the following scenarios:
- The administrator wants to get notified with a warning when there are more than 50 Journals in the Queue or the Queue size is greater than or equals to 1000 KB
- Receive an error when there are more than 100 Dead Letters and the Journal count is equal to 50 in the Queue
- Queue Location - This option helps you to select queues from local machine or from a remote location. Say, if the Queue you wish to monitor and the BizTalk360 are installed in different servers but under the same domain this options comes in handy, you can select the option Remote from the dropdown and paste your Queue path.
- Queue Path - The Queue path specifies the name of the computer where the messages in the Queue will be stored. The general format for the Queue path is Domain Name\Message Queue Type (Private/System)\Queue Name. You can get this from Queue Properties screen.
Queue Configurations - This section helps you to create the threshold rules for the alert mechanism. In this case, the rule is created as per the scenario explained above. This section has the following parameter:
- Threshold Type
- Queue Properties
- Threshold Conditions
- Threshold Value
- Operators - Operators helps you to fine tune your rules. Say you wish to be alerted if there are more than 50 Journals in the Queue or the Queue size is greater than or equals to 1000 KB. In this case, the operator "OR" helps to alert if any one of this condition is met.
- Add Condition - Click this button to add another condition to your Queue monitoring rule
- Save Configurations - Helps you save the configured conditions to your monitoring list
- Close - Close the Queue Monitoring Rules screen
Editing the rule conditions in MSMQ monitoring
BizTalk360 allows users to modify the configured rules from the Monitor Results blade. The system does not allow the users to edit the Queue path but allows them to modify the rule conditions associated with the Queue. For instance, let's say the user wants to add a sub-condition to the existing rule condition. Follow the steps as shown below to edit the rule information.
- Follow the steps 1-4 in Adding an MSMQ to BizTalk360 Queues monitoring section
- Click the CONFIG button against the Queue you wish to edit
- Click the Configure Threshold button in the Monitor Results blade
- Edit the rules as per your requirements. In this case, you can click the icon at the end of the condition to add an operator
- Select the operator and enter the values
- Click Save Configurations to save the changes