In this article, we will take a detailed look at the end-to-end working scenario of configuring an alarm with ServiceNow notification channel.
Scott is the administrator user at ACME Corporation and would like to set up alerts on his BizTalk Server environment and applications to get notified when there is a problem in the environment. At ACME, they use ServiceNow for the management and reporting of their enterprise assets. Scott prefers to receive alerts from BizTalk360 right into the ServiceNow "Incidents" section. He can choose to set an impact and Priority level for the alerts that come from BizTalk360, say, Impact - 1 (High) and Priority - 1 (Critical). What this means is that whenever any alert is received in ServiceNow, Scott has to action the alert immediately in the BizTalk environment.
The advantage with BizTalk360 is that ServiceNow is one of the pre-defined notification channel that is available with BizTalk360 v8.0. All that Scott needs to do is to configure the ServiceNow Notification Channel and set up the notification channel with one of the Alarms in the environment in order for BizTalk360 to be able to trigger notifications into ServiceNow. To do this, Scott must perform the following steps -
- Log in to the BizTalk360 application
- Click the 'Settings' icon found at the top right corner of the page
- Click 'Monitoring and Notification' from the Menu panel on the left side of the screen
- Click Manage Notification Channels
- Select the checkbox against the ServiceNow Channel name (B360.Notifier.ServiceNowNotification)
- Click Configure
- ServiceNow URL - Enter the URL of the ServiceNow instance (E.g., https://devxxxxx.service-now.com)
- Username - Enter the username of the ServiceNow instance
- Password - Enter the password of the ServiceNow instance
- Click the Configure button to save the ServiceNow configuration settings
- Once you click configure, the Is Configured field changes from No to Yes
- Click the Home button to navigate from Settings screen to the main BizTalk360 Operations screen
- Click Monitoring below the environment selection pane
- Select Manage Alarms
- Click New Alarm
- Select For Threshold Monitoring to create a threshold monitoring alarm
- Enter a descriptive name for the Alarm (ServiceNow Notifications), Email id (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Alarm Description
- Click Next. Make the necessary settings for Threshold violation.
- In the Notification Channel(s) section on the Advanced (Notifications) screen, you will notice ServiceNow is listed with a toggle icon. Toggle the icon to enable the ServiceNow Notifications.
- In order for BizTalk360 to be able to trigger notifications into ServiceNow, you need to enter the short description, the impact, and urgency into the corresponding fields
- Click OK to create the alarm
- Map the alarm with any Application artifacts and the BizTalk Server environment (as defined previously in the scenario explanation)
- Once the mapping is done, whenever there is any threshold violation in the environment, Scott will receive the alert notifications on the ServiceNow portal. He need not log in to BizTalk360 to view the status of the environment at any point of time.
Click the sliders to go through the process.