BizTalk360 allows you to seamlessly monitor various things in your BizTalk environment like Orchestrations, Send ports, Receive Locations, Service Instances etc. In this section, we will see how to set up monitoring on the Orchestrations in an BizTalk application.
Orchestrations in BizTalk server is used as a work flow to compose business processes. In majority of the instances, Orchestrations will become key part of the solution you have deployed, and it's important to make sure the orchestrations are in healthy expected state to avoid any downtime. BizTalk360 assists administrators by monitoring the Orchestrations against a predefined status. For instance, you want to monitor the health of the Orchestration and want to be alerted when the status is not in a started state. You can easily configure this in BizTalk360 by setting the expected state of the Orchestration to started. By doing this, system will trigger an alert as soon as the Orchestration status is not in started state.
One of the important feature of BizTalk360 monitoring is, it allows you to set up monitoring for any desired state, not necessarily just healthy running state always. Most of the monitoring solutions will only monitor for a healthy state. When it comes to BizTalk, it's fairly normal; for example you have some Orchestrations in stopped state for some reason and you do not want someone to accidentally start it. If you wanted to achieve this in general purpose monitoring solutions, it may involve considerable amount of custom development, whereas in BizTalk360 it's out-of-the-box.
When you are configuring monitoring for Orchestration, you can select one of the expected state from the drop down. The meaning of the states are:
Started – The Orchestration is expected to be in started state
Stopped – The Orchestration is expected to be in stopped state
Unenlisted – The Orchestration is expected to be in unenlisted state
Do not monitor – Selecting this option will disable monitoring for the selected Orchestration
Setting Up Alerts For Orchestrations
- Log in to the BizTalk360 application
- Click 'Monitoring' in the navigation panel
- Click the expand button against 'Manage Mapping' tab and select 'Applications' link
- Select the Application for which you want to set up the monitoring
- Select the Alarm name (see Creating an alarm) from the drop down for which you would like to associate the alerts
- Choose the Orchestration(s) that you wish to monitor and receive the alerts
- Select the check box against the orchestration, and
- Set the value of Expected State by selecting from the value from drop down. For instance, if you want to be alerted when the Orchestration is not in Started state, then you need to set the expected value in the drop down to Started