BizTalk server uses a publish/subscribe messaging engine architecture where all incoming messages are published to the MessageBox database, and picked up by the send ports, orchestrations. The three main components of this architecture are:
- Receive locations/Receive ports
- Send ports
These components are isolated from one another and BizTalk server offers the flexibility to control (start, stop, enable, disable etc) each one of them individually. Let's assume we have an application PurchaseOrderProj that uses, say, MSMQ adapter configured on the receive port (ReceivePort) to receive the messages into BizTalk server. Accidentally (or intentionally) if the support user disables the receive location, it will stop BizTalk server from polling messages from MSMQ. This will result in serious consequences to the business. Therefore, it is critical for the organizations to collect the audit log of the activities that are done on the application artifacts like send ports, receive locations and orchestrations.
BizTalk360 by default audits all the activities performed by the support person on the application's receive location, orchestration, and send ports. Following are the list of events captured by BizTalk360 for auditing:
- Enable/disable of receive locations
- Start/Stop/Enlist/Unenlist of orchestrations
- Start/Stop/Enlist/Unenlist of send ports
- Selecting the artifact (check box) and clicking on the Operation buttons (Start/Stop/Enable/Disable/Enlist/Unenlist) at the top of the grid.
- Selecting the artifact (check box). When you do this, you will notice an inline operation showing up right next to the check box with the possible operations that you can perform on the artifact.
- Hovering over the record in the Status column - When you hover the mouse over the status column, you will notice the possible operations that can be performed on the selected artifact.
The Super User, by default, can view the audit logs in the Governance/Auditing section. Super users also have the ability to authorize normal users from the User Access Policy section to view the Governance/Auditing information.
The below screenshot sliders show how the audit logs are captured when a user enables/disables a receive location.