There may be occasions when the BizTalk administrator would want to terminate the service instances. In this case, once a service instance is terminated, there is no way the message information can be retrieved from BizTalk. Therefore, a message once deleted is forever deleted from the system. In a perfect business scenario, there may be situations when the administrators would face the need to access a previously terminated message. To overcome this limitation, BizTalk360 provides the option for administrators to be able to archive the service instance information (Message Content & Context) before terminating the service instances. In this section, we are refer to the data monitoring feature with the capability to archive the message before terminating them.
This feature is made available from BizTalk360 v7.10 onwards (7.9.9998.3106).
Configuring The Archive Location For Data Monitoring
The first step in setting up the "Archive before Terminate" option in Message Box Data Monitoring is to configure the location where the archived files are to be stored. You need to specify a valid file location in order to be able to archive the service instance information before terminating them.
- Navigate to BizTalk360 Settings
- Click System Settings option from the left menu
- In the Archive location for data monitoring (archive before terminate option), enter the path where you want to archive the service instance information
- Click Save to save the information
Setting up the Message Box Data Monitor with Archive before Terminate functionality
Follow the steps as shown below to set up the Message box data monitor with the archive before terminate functionality -
- Log in to BizTalk360 (as a Super user)
- Click Monitoring and Notifications from the left menu
- If you haven't created a data monitoring alarm, Create a Data Monitor Alarm. Follow the steps as shown in the article to create a data monitor alarm.
- Once you have created an alarm, select Data Monitoring from the drop down in the top right corner of the page
- Select Message Box Data tab to create a message box data monitor
- Click Add New to create a new message box data monitor
- Enter the details in the fields as appropriate. Refer this article to understand about each field in the message box data monitor creation page.
- In the Set Actions section, select the Is Action Required check box
- Select When to action option from the drop down (depending on the requirement) - Every Time, On Error Condition, On Warning Condition
- In What Action option, select 'Terminate' as the option from the drop down. When you select Terminate, a check box will appear as "Archive message(s) content & context associated before Terminate". Select the check box to activate the archive before terminate option.
- Click Save & Close to save and close the data monitor
Data Monitoring Dashboard - Action taken
When the data monitor executes at the specified time (as defined in the data monitor), if there are any suspended service instances, they will be archived into the specific path (as mentioned in the System Settings screen) and then terminated. This action will be reflected in the monitoring dashboard. If the operation happened successfully, you will notice the 'Download Archive' column header with the Download link to the service instance information. You can download the specific service instance related information from the data monitoring dashboard. Whenever an action is taken on the service instance, a Gear Icon will be visible in the monitoring dashboard.
The file path will contain the archived service instances (the .out file and .xml file). You will also find the zipped version of these files just in case you need to transfer these files to your team members.
If no path is specified under Settings > System Settings, the Terminate operation will not happen and an exception will be displayed against the service instance detail in the data monitoring dashboard as follows -
Archive before terminate is set but experienced issues during archive. Archive location not configured, please configure it via Settings > System Settings screen.
The following screenshots depicts the exception message that is received when the file location is not specified.