In this section, we will take a deep dive into the BAM data monitoring screen to understand the functionality of every option and controls present in the screen. The first and foremost step in BAM Data Monitoring is to Create an Alarm and map the alarm for data monitor alerts. Click here to understand the process of creating a data monitor alarm. Without creating an alarm, when you try to create a data monitoring, you will see an error message as:
- Choose Alarm - As mentioned above, the first step to set up BAM data monitoring is to create an alarm. Once you have created the alarm, the alarm name will be displayed in the drop down. Select the alarm that should be used for BAM data monitoring purposes.
- Friendly Monitor Name - A meaningful name for the BAM Data Monitor. The monitor name can be set as "BAM Data Monitor for PO received every 15 minutes from 9 AM to 5 PM".
- Query Type - This section is very similar to the Business Activity Monitoring section in BizTalk360. Select the type of query for which you want to run the data monitor.
- Add a filter - To filter the query results based on different parameters (available columns in the BAM view)
- Warning Threshold - Select the value from the drop down on when you want to be notified when there is a warning. The first drop down is to select the Operator (> or =) and the second operator is to select the warning value. For e.g., When number of BAM activities are > 5, throw a warning
- Error Threshold - Select the value from the drop down on when you want to be notified when there is an error. The first drop down is to select the Operator (> or =) and the second operator is to select the warning value. For e.g., When number of BAM activities are > 10, throw an error
How often you want to monitor - Select the duration how often you want to monitor for BAM status reports. The options are - Daily, Weekly, and Monthly. Depending on the selection, you can add further filter criteria on how often you want to monitor.
- Daily - will set up the data monitor to execute everyday
- Weekly - The data monitor will execute on the selected days of the week (Every Day, Monday-Friday, or the selected day of choice). To add a single day of the week, click the control and select the day of your choice.
Monthly - The data monitor will execute on the selected day of the month. To add a specific day of the month, enter the date in the space provided or select the date from the drop down. If a particular day is not present in the month (say, 29th Feb), then system will skip that month and generate the results on the specified day in the next month.
When during the day - Select the time when the data monitor must execute on a particular day during the business hours. You can customize your business hours by selecting the values from the Business Day Start and Business Day End options. By default, the business day start time is 9 AM and business day end time is 5 PM.Depending on the business hour selection, the following options are available when you want the data monitor to execute on a particular day.
At what time - Select the time when the data monitor should execute on a particular day. The options are - At the end of the business day and at a set frequency (every 1 hour or 15 minutes).
The minimum time interval supported is 15 minutes, which means the data monitor will execute 4 times (15 minutes x 4 = 60 minutes) in an hour.The minimum time interval supported is 1 hour.
- At the end of the business day - If this option is chosen, the data monitor will execute depending on the value chosen in the Business Day End field. For e.g, if the business end time specified is 5 PM (default value), the data monitor will execute exactly at 5 PM.
Monitor every X minutes/hours - You can define specific intervals during the business hours when the data monitor should execute. The options available are Minutes and Hours.
- Minutes - Select the number of minutes after which the data monitor should execute. E.g., 30 minutes means the data monitor will execute once in every 30 minutes.
- Hours - Select the number of hours after which the data monitor should execute during the business hours. E.g., 2 hours means the data monitor will execute once in 2 hours between 9 AM and 5 PM.
Advanced - This section can be used to define advanced settings for data monitoring. You can define a date range (from date and to date) when you want the data monitor to execute. You can set up a data monitor to start, say, on a Monday and end on the next Tuesday. In addition to this, you can set up the other settings mentioned above in the previous steps. This means the data monitor will only start to run next Monday and will not execute after Tuesday.
How do you want to check
Based on only Query result count (no date/time filter) - Selecting this option will execute the query based on the setting for trigger time (Defined under 'At what time' as explained above in step 10). Say, the monitor at set frequency is set to every 15 minutes, the query execution will happen once in every 15 minutes till the specified end time.
Based on Query result with date/time range - Selecting this option will activate the "Choose date/time column" drop down from where the appropriate option can be selected. When selected, the query will be constructed with the from/to date time filter based on the selected date/time column, and execute the query with the time range. Say, for instance, if the data monitor is scheduled to execute every hour from 9 AM to 6 PM, and currently the time is 11:59 AM, during the next run of the data monitor at 12 PM, it will look for the query results between 11:01 AM and 11:59 AM and generate the results.
- Based on only Query result count (no date/time filter) - Selecting this option will execute the query based on the setting for trigger time (Defined under 'At what time' as explained above in step 10). Say, the monitor at set frequency is set to every 15 minutes, the query execution will happen once in every 15 minutes till the specified end time.
Summary - The summary information will automatically be populated based on the information selected in the previous columns
Save & Close - Once all the values are selected in the previous steps, click Save & Close to save the settings
- Save & Add Another - The entered values will be saved and a new screen will be displayed to create another data monitor
- Close - Click Close to discard the changes. When the close button is clicked, system will display a confirmation message as "There are unsaved changes, do you still want to close?". Click Yes to close the Data Monitoring creation window. Click No to remain on the same page.
- General guideline - Provides information about the operations that can be performed in the current screen