In this topic, we will show you the steps to set up a process monitor for a particular receive location and/or send port and receive status alerts on the process monitor information.
The purchase order division of Contoso is expecting around 25 purchase orders every hour from their buyers during their business day hours from 9 AM to 5 PM. They expect no more than 25 orders during every hour. Let's assume Contoso is running an application ContosoPOReceive on their BizTalk server that has a receive location (ReceivePO_RL1) capable of receiving these incoming purchase orders. Scott is the person responsible to receive the purchase orders from the buyers.
Scott sets up a Process Monitor on the receive location ReceivePO_RL1 that will monitor the incoming purchase orders every hour. If <25 purchase orders are received during a business hour, the process monitor will trigger a Success Alert email notification to Scott.
The following steps and screenshots depict the complete end-to-end operation of this scenario.
- Log in to the BizTalk360 application
- Click 'Monitoring and Notification' in the Menu panel on the left side of the screen
- Select 'Manage Alarms' from the drop down in the top right corner of the screen
- Click 'New Alarm'. Enter a descriptive name for the Alarm, Email id (you can enter multiple email ids as comma separated values), and Alarm Description. Make sure that SMTP is properly configured in order to be able to receive email notifications from BizTalk360.
- Click > to enter the Threshold Alarm page. This step is optional while creating a process monitoring alarm.
Click > to enter the Status Alarm page. This step is optional as well while creating a process monitoring alarm.
Click > to move to the Process Monitoring Alert section
Select the 'Use this alarm for Process Monitor Alerts' check box to map the current alarm to a process monitor. Only when this option is selected, the 'Notify on Success as well' check box gets activated.The Notify on Success as well check box is optional for process monitoring, while the Use this alarm for Process Monitor Alerts option is mandatory.
Click > to move to the last section of adding the Advanced Settings information. All the settings in advanced settings page is optional. Set the phone number to receive the Notification SMS when the alert is triggered. As with the email ids, you can enter multiple phone numbers as comma separated values.
- Click OK to create the alarm. The alarm will be created and you will be redirected to the Manage Alarms page. The Manage Alarms page will list the alarms that have been created for the environment.
- The next step is to create the Process Monitor. Click 'Monitoring and Notification' in the Menu panel on the left side of the screen
- Click 'Process Monitoring' from the drop down in the top right corner of the screen
- Click 'Add New' in the Manage Process Monitors page
- Select the Alarm name from the drop down at the top right corner of the page. The drop down will contain the list of alarms that have been selected to be used for process monitoring.
- In the Process Monitoring page,
- Enter the Process Monitor Name
- Select the value for the number of messages you expect during a specific period
- Select the receive location and receive port from the list in the drop down
- Select how often do you wish to monitor the selected receive location and/or receive port. You can either select Daily/Weekly/Monthly.
- Select the business day start time and end time from the timer control. The default value for business day start time is 9 AM and business day end time is 5 PM
- Select when you want the process monitor to actually execute during the day - At the end of the business day or at a specific time of the hour/minutes during the business day
- Select the date from when you want the process monitor to start and stop execution
- The summary section automatically displays the information about the process monitor
- Click Save & Close to save the process monitor information and close the process monitoring creation window
- The created Process Monitor name will be displayed in the Manage Process Monitors section. Click here to understand the different controls in the Process Monitoring page in detail.
- Once the process monitor is configured, the process monitor status information will be plotted on the Process Monitoring Dashboard calendar chart control area. If the receive location received <25 purchase orders in the one hour time frame, the status will be plotted in Green color. Otherwise, the status will be plotted in Red color.
- Click the plots on the calendar chart to view the Process Monitoring Execution Results information. This pop up window will display the detailed information about the process monitor.
- Click the X at the top right corner of the pop up to close the pop up window
- When the plot is plotted on the chart control, an email notification alert will be triggered automatically to Scott's email id with the status of the process monitor.
By performing these steps in sequential order, Scott will be able to set up process monitoring for the receive location and receive alerts on the status every hour.
Click the sliders to view the screenshots.