The first step in monitoring using BizTalk360 is to create Alarms. Alarms in BizTalk360 acts like a package to associate things together. Example: You may want to monitor artifacts in few BizTalk applications together. Alarms help you to achieve this objective. While creating the alarm, you can also configure the notification channel through which you want to receive the alerts say e-mail, SMS, and so on. In BizTalk360, at the top level there are 3 main types of alarm you can create:
- Regular notification alarms (used for Health/Status check)
- Threshold violation alarms (used when a condition is violated, example receive location disabled)
- Process monitoring alarms (used to set up process monitoring alerts on specific receive locations and/or send ports)
The create alarm screen is flexible; you can simply create a regular alarm, or a threshold alarm or you can use the same alarm to monitor both regular and threshold condition. For more information about these, please read Daily Health Check/Status Notifications, Threshold based Monitoring, and Process Monitoring sections.
Creating An Alarm
To create an alarm in BizTalk360, you need to follow the steps below (general instructions):
- Log in to the BizTalk360 application
- Click 'Monitoring and Notification' in the Menu panel on the left side of the screen
- Select 'Manage Alarms' from the drop down in the top right corner of the screen
- Click 'New Alarm'. Enter a descriptive name for the Alarm, Email id (you can enter multiple email ids as comma separated values), and Alarm Description
- Click > to enter the Threshold Alarm page
- Select the 'Alert on threshold violation' check box if you want to be alerted upon a threshold violation. You have few options here like specifying persist duration, maximum alerts, positive notification and also you can restrict the threshold monitoring window between certain times (useful when you don't want to get alerted after business hours)
Click > to enter the Status Alarm page
This step is optional, if you want to use the alarm for regular health/status check, you can select day(s)/time when you want to receive the status alert
Click > to move to the screen to set up Process monitoring alert. Select the check box "Use this alarm for Process Monitor Alerts" if you wish to associate the current alarm with the process monitors. Select the check box "Notify on Success as well" to receive success email alerts for the configured process monitors. If you do not choose the second check box, you will not receive the success email alerts.
Click > to move to the last section of adding the Advanced Settings information
All the settings in advanced settings page is optional. Set the phone number to receive the Notification SMS when the alert is triggered. As with the email ids, you can enter multiple phone numbers as comma separated values.
- Click OK to create the alarm. The alarm will be created and you will be redirected to the Manage Alarms page. The Manage Alarms page will list the alarms that have been created for the environment.
Click the sliders to view the alarm creation process.
Once you have created an alarm with the required settings, you can then associate various sections (receive locations, send ports, disks, NT services, event logs etc) you wanted to monitor with the alarm.
You create multiple alarms based on logical separations. Example: You may want to create a separate alarm to manage all the infrastructure related things like disks, NT Services, certain event log entries, CPU, Memory in BizTalk/SQL servers etc. You can also create alarms based on other logical separations such as Development Team, QA team, Production team etc. BizTalk360 alarms gives you full flexibility to achieve this.